The Renewable Heat Incentive

We have listed below 18 of the most frequently asked questions but if you have any additional questions or queries please give us a call in the office on 0800 028 28 23, we would be more than happy to help.

1. How do I apply for the Domestic RHI?

You can apply for the Domestic RHI using the online application form on Ofgem's website. To help you prepare further, you can see what questions you will be asked during the application by looking at the Application Form helpsheet.

2. Should I apply for the scheme before or after I install my renewable heating system?

You can only apply for the Domestic RHI after your renewable heating system has been installed. As part of your application, you will need to provide your MCS installation certificate number, which AOS Heating will provide you with once the system is installed.

3. What information will I need to provide when I apply?

To complete the online application form, you will need to provide the below:
Your personal identification and bank details
The Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) certificate number for your renewable heat appliance
An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) number for your property

4. What's the difference between the Domestic and Non-Domestic RHI schemes?

The Domestic RHI is designed for heating systems supplying a single domestic property which must have, or be capable of obtaining, a domestic Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). For other situations, including where the heating system provides heat to multiple homes (e.g. flats), you
may instead be eligible for the Non-Domestic RHI.

5. Are there any time limits to when I can apply?

To be eligible for the Domestic RHI, you must apply within 12 months of the 'commissioning date' shown on your MCS certificate . If your system was commissioned before 15 July 2009 (when the RHI was announced), you will not be eligible for the scheme.

6. My application has been put 'into review'; what happens next?

There are a number of reasons your application might have been put into review. It will usually be because you need to provide additional information so your application can be processed correctly. In all cases, Ofgem will contact you within 5-10 working days to let you know the specific reason for your review, and ask you to provide any documents required. For more information about what to do if your application is in review click here

7. Do I need an Energy Performance Certificate?

Yes, you need to provide an EPC that is less than 24 months old at the date of application. Your EPC needs to accurately reflect information about your house, so if you have undertaken construction work on your property you may need to get a new EPC to ensure it reflects your circumstances. An EPC provides an opportunity for you to assess the wider energy efficiency of your property. You will need to install any loft and/or cavity wall insulation recommended on your EPC to be eligible for the scheme.

8. Can I apply if my system is part of a new building?

The RHI scheme is designed to help people make the switch to renewable heating when replacing an existing fossil fuel product. Where a heating system is installed as part of the building of a new property it won't usually be eligible for this scheme. *The exception to this rule is where the property was constructed using the labour or resources of the first owner (including any loans that the first owner was liable to repay), and where the first owner and all subsequent owners are individuals, not organisations. We refer to these as 'custom-builds'.

9. Is second hand or refurbished equipment eligible?

The Domestic RHI is designed to pay for the equivalent of 20 years of renewable heat generation during the seven year tariff payment period. Using a second hand product increases the risk that it will break down or require replacement before the 20 years has passed. In addition, the tariffs are set based on the cost of new equipment as second hand equipment is likely to be cheaper. Allowing it on the scheme would tend to
result in over-compensation. It was therefore decided that equipment that has previously been used to generate heat should not be eligible for the scheme.

10. Can I apply for more than one renewable heating system?

You can apply for one space heating system (including domestic hot water) only. If you have two or more of the same product commissioned at the same time, they will normally be considered to be two parts of the same heating system and should receive the same MCS certificate. The system capacity will be the combined capacity of the two products and, providing there is one MCS certificate, the application will be processed automatically.

11. Can I apply if my heating system heats multiple buildings?

If your system heats more than one domestic property, then you will not be eligible for the Domestic RHI, but may be eligible for the Non-Domestic RHI. However, if your renewable heating system provides heat to multiple buildings within your property (for example your house and an outbuilding), then you will be eligible for the scheme.

12. Can I still apply to the Domestic RHI if I can't install the required loft and/or cavity wall insulation recommended in my EPC?

If loft and/or cavity wall insulation are recommended in your EPC you must install them before you apply to the Domestic RHI. However, The scheme understand that there are some circumstances in which this may not be possible, for example if your property is a listed building. If this is the case, you may be exempt and will still be eligible for the scheme. Click here for a full list of insulation exemptions and the evidence needed to approve your application.

13. Am I eligible for the scheme if I've already received a grant?

During the application, you will have to declare any funding you've received towards your installation which you don't need to pay back. This does not include bank or other loans, or a Green Deal finance plan, as you are responsible for these repayments yourself. You will be ask you to provide evidence of the funding you've received, and decide whether or not it's from a public source. If it is, the amount will be deducted from your quarterly payments in equal amounts over the seven year life of the scheme.

15. Are rental properties or holiday homes eligible?

Yes, so long as they meet all the joining requirements. This includes the property having a domestic energy performance certificate (EPC). Any property that's occupied for less than six months a year (183 days) will have to have a meter installed, and payments will be made based upon meter readings.

16. What happens if I move home?

Domestic RHI payments can only be made to the owner of the heating system. If you sell your home and, as part of that, you sell the heating system, you will no longer be eligible to receive payments. If you sell your property, the new owner may be eligible to claim payments for the remainder of the seven years. You must notify Ofgem before or within 28 days of selling your heating system.

17. Will my heating system need to be metered?

Generally, you will only need to install metering if any of the below apply to you:
If you have another heating system installed at the property (renewable or fossil fuel)
If your property is occupied for less than six months a year (183 days)
For more information on these scenarios, please refer to the Do I need Metering for the Domestic RHI factsheet and The Essential Guide to Metering.

18. What is an SPF, and why do I need to provide it?

All eligible heat pumps require electricity to run. The efficiency of both ground and air source heat pumps (how much electricity they require in order to deliver heating for the property) will need to be taken into account when we calculate your payments. To do this, heat pumps are allocated an SPF. This is calculated by AOS heating and will be visible on your MCS compliance certificate. To be eligible, all heat pumps
must have a minimum SPF of 2.5, AOS Heating like to design all system to s minimum SPF of 3.5 therefore you will always be within this standard.